Sunday, January 1, 2023

 Image of the Day: The freshly filled birdfeeders, waiting for the birds to remember where they were.


Happy New Year! I've been gone from this space, but decided to try writing in here more to see if it helps my other private writing. My family and I have been traveling and meeting new people, which reminds me that connecting with new people opens my heart and mind up. When I click with my kind of people, it reminds me why I love the things I do, and why they are so important. I'm such a recluse, now that I'm in what I call forced retirement, that it's really easy for me to be too alone, if you know what I mean, and too easy for me to forget to engage in the things I love. 

So some of my writing resolutions, or reminders to myself of what I want to do more is:

Write in my journal more often, and when I do, set a timer for 15 minutes to push myself out of my safety zone. I usually just write about a page, and feel like I've done enough. 

Write out other people's poems that I may find uncomfortable, or that I don't understand and see if that expands my experience of what my poems can be, or do. 

Find a weekly time to write a draft of a poem, to revise other poems, and to submit. 

And also, my word for this year is accept. Accept how I write my poems and accept their imperfections. Accept that I may not be the poet I wish I were but that I am one, at least. 

And that even if my word is accept, accept the fact that I will keep pushing myself, that I will be discouraged sometimes, and that I will not be writing sometimes. 

You can read a recent poem of mine here. And here is one of my favorite poems. I hope the new year brings you what you joy, happiness, and what you most need.


blessing the boats

                                    (at St. Mary's)

may the tide
that is entering even now
the lip of our understanding
carry you out
beyond the face of fear
may you kiss
the wind then turn from it
certain that it will
love your back     may you
open your eyes to water
water waving forever
and may you in your innocence
sail through this to that


from the Poetry Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memorize More!

 Image of the Day: Birds in my backyard, scrambling in the rain for seed.  Happy Holidays! I have a poem here at One Art, Hiking Cadillac Mo...