Friday, February 21, 2014

Now I'm Not Sure

Image of the Day:  Icicles dripping spheres of light.




So it's tweak your manuscript time again:  renaming, revising, and rearranging. I've changed some titles of poems (thank you Ruth!) and just been trying to listen to myself when something about a poem bothers me, even just a teeny tiny amount. Lots of contests coming up. 


Jenn Monroe has excerpted some of my poems from Her Vena Amoris, which you can read here and which you probably want to buy for some Very Important Reason, such as someone's birthday or because, you know, you should have it.  For your very own self. Link at right.  ----->


And I finished Bluets and that is an amazing book. But now I'm not sure what to read.  Any suggestions?




The Joins
       Kintsugi is the Japanese art of mending precious pottery with gold.





What's between us
often seems flexible as the webbing
between forefinger and thumb.


Seems flexible, but it's not;
what's between us
is made of clay,


like any cup on the shelf.
It shatters easily. Repair
becomes the task.


We glue the wounded edges
with tentative fingers.
Scar tissue is visible history,


the cup more precious to us
because
we saved it.


In the art of kintsugi,
a potter repairing a broken cup
would sprinkle the resin


with powdered gold.
Sometimes the joins
are so exquisite


they say the potter
may have broken the cup
just so he could mend it.


Chana Bloch


The Southern Review
Winter 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memorize More!

 Image of the Day: Birds in my backyard, scrambling in the rain for seed.  Happy Holidays! I have a poem here at One Art, Hiking Cadillac Mo...